Here you will find all you need to know about the physical ride from Alexandra Place to Download Festival
TOTAL TO PAY: £800 per rider
MINIMUM TO FUNDRAISE: £1,000
To take part in the physical ride, there are costs involved. This year, due to rising event costs, we unfortunately have to ask that all costs related to the ride are paid for, in full, by the individual riders. This does mean that the individual minimum donation target is lowered from previous years.
We understand that this is difficult for some of you, especially those returning riders who have supported us gallantly over the last 10 years- it’s not a decision we have taken lightly. But thanks to our wonderful friends at Live Nation and Marshall Amps, we’ve added some additional perks to make the news a bit more bearable! Keep reading for more info.
Should you have any queries on any of this, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Helen Curl- Head of Operations for The Truants Foundation on firstname.lastname@example.org
When you register on Race Nation, you will pay £100 deposit (+ £5 to cover admin fee). Once you have been vetted by our Operations team that you are made of real metal, you will receive another invoice for the remaining balance.
We ask that the payments be made either in full or in instalments:
£100 Immediate non-refundable deposit due on sign up, payable via Race Nation
£200 1st instalment due Jan 27th 2023
£200 2nd instalment due Feb 27th 2023
£200 3rd instalment due March 27th 2023
£100 Final instalment due April 27th 2023
The price includes the following:
- 1x Weekend Guest, non camping, ticket for all 4 days of Download Festival worth over £300
- Visit to World Famous, Marshall Factory & Studio on Day 1
- Hotels for Tues, Wed night (based on twin share)
- Bike Hire
- Support staff:
- Tour Manager & Tour Assistant
- 2 x mechanics
- 3x support vehicles (2 x vans & 1x people carrier)
- Fully qualified Medic
- All meals – breakfast, lunches, dinners, snacks during event days
- Water and soft refreshments during ride hours
- Shot at the final break stop
- Beer at the end!
- The knowledge that you’ve not only helped the environment by cycling to Download, but you’ve raised money for children’s charities whilst doing it.
If you wish to have your own room during the event, the cost of £99 will be invoiced separately via Classic Challenge.
If you wish to extend your stay at the Leicester Hilton for any of the days of Download Festival (Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun), the cost of £115 per night will be invoiced separately via Classic Challenge.
Although the initial deposit is non-refundable, please be assured we will always retrieve as much of your payment as possible if you are to cancel up to 6 weeks before the event takes place.
Should you cancel after this time, we will not be able to offer you a refund due to event costs being paid.
If a replacement rider is found to take your place who can cover the full amount, your money would be fully refunded.
There is the option to get sponsorship from your employers, or any other brand partners. We are happy to arrange an invoice from The Truants Foundation for £1,800 per rider to cover your full ride costs and a £1,000 donation to charity to start you off
We welcome any brands to also get in touch for more partnership opportunities.
If you would like to know more about this option, please email email@example.com.
Insurance is not included in your tour cost. Insurance is not required for accidents and emergencies, you will be treated by the trip paramedic or taken to the nearest medical centre. Valuables are not insured unless they are protected by your home contents policy. Please note there is no refund if you cancel your place on the ride.
Please check that your travel insurance policy provider is aware that you are doing a charity bike ride in the UK.
All non-UK riders will be asked to provide a copy of their insurance schedule detailing insurance company name, policy number and 24 hour medical helpline number. You can do this now by emailing info@heavymetaltruants. We require your insurance details by 6 weeks prior to the event.
If you have a pre-existing medical condition you need to advise your insurance company so that you are adequately covered.
If you plan to bring your own bicycle, please check you have insurance in place and bring an insurance-compliant bike lock.
- T-shirts – one per day and spares for the evening (3 cotton HMT shirts will be provided for every rider)
- Socks –one pair per day plus spares and extra for evenings
- Waterproof jacket / bicycle poncho & trousers (we’re in the UK – expect rain!)
- Cycling shorts – 1 or 2 pairs (padded)
- Cycling shoes – or suitable footwear e.g. sports sandals (which dry quickly) or trainers
- Fingerless gel padded cycling gloves – one pair
- Scarf to cover back of neck to avoid sun burn
- Cap to cover head when not wearing helmet
- Spare trainers
- Casual wear for evenings and free time
- Warmer layers for the evening
- Cycle helmet – essential
- 1 – 2 water bottles for bike, with a cover on top to prevent mud from getting into the drinking nozzle. A more hygienic alternative is a “camel pack” which is worn on the back.
- Saddle – your own saddle or a gel seat cover (optional)
- SPDs and bar ends (optional)
- Bum bag for carrying small items while cycling e.g. camera, sun cream, tissues etc.
- Small ‘day’ bag which can be used for extra items and transported on support vehicle
- 1 lightweight travel size towel
- Good quality sunglasses with UV protection
- Ear plugs (sharing with noisy room mates can prevent sleep!)
- Travel alarm clock
- Carrier bags/bin bags – useful for dirty washing or wet clothing
- Camera and memory cards
SMALL PERSONAL MEDICAL KIT
- Sufficient supplies of regular medication
- Antiseptic ointment
- Plasters & bandages
- Ankle & knee support
- Pain killers
- Diareze, Dioralyte, immodium
- Vaseline or sudacrem
- Isotonic powders (if used to taking them during training), energy sweets, cereal / energy bars
- Lip salve (minimum factor 20)
- Sun block (minimum factor 30)
- Tissues & toilet paper
- Wet wipes & anti-bacterial hand gel
- Contact lens wearers should bring glasses and / or prescription sunglasses
- Ladies are advised to take tampons regardless of timing
Postcode for Sat Nav: N22 7AY, if you’re being dropped off by car marshals are on hand to direct you.
Wood Green is the nearest underground station on the Piccadilly Line. (journey time is 20 minutes from Piccadilly Circus). Exit Wood Green Station and go to bus stop A to pick up the W3 bus up the hill to Alexandra Palace, Palm Court Entrance.
Distance from Wood Green Tube on foot: approximately 30 minutes.
Finsbury Park is on the Piccadilly and Victoria Line. On arrival at Finsbury Park station, take the W3 to the Palm Court Entrance. (Journey time from Finsbury Park is 20 minutes).
Alexandra Palace has its own British Rail Station, fittingly called Alexandra Palace Station. It is located at the Wood Green entrance to the Park. A regular train service runs direct from Moorgate or from Kings Cross, changing at Finsbury Park.
Distance from Alexandra Palace Station on foot: approximately 10 – 15 minutes uphill.
The W3 bus route will take you directly to the Palm Court entrance at Alexandra Palace.
From London Bridge walk to Monument bus stop Q and take the 141 bus to Wood Green Station, then take the W3 bus to Alexandra Palace.
From London Charing Cross walk to Trafalgar Square bus stop C and take the 29 bus to Finsbury Park, then take the W3 bus to Alexandra Palace.
From London Victoria take the 38 bus from bus stop D to Denmark Street, then take bus 29 to Finsbury Park, then take the W3 bus to Alexandra Palace.
From Heathrow Airport, take the Piccadilly Line directly to Wood Green Station.
From Gatwick Airport an express train takes you direct to Victoria Station, then take the Piccadilly Line direct to Wood Green Station.
From Stansted Airport, take the Greater Anglia train to Tottenham Hale Station, then take the Victoria Line to Finsbury Park Underground Station, and then the Piccadilly Line direct to Wood Green Station.
From Luton Airport, take the Route Express bus 888 to Luton Airport Parkway Station, then take the First Capital Connect service to St Pancras International, then walk to King’s Cross St Pancras Underground Station and take the Piccadilly Line direct to Wood Green Station.
Transport is subject to change, please check your route a day or two in advance on the Transport For London website (www.tfl.gov.uk)
ACCOMMODATION FOR THE NIGHT BEFORE (NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR ARRANGEMENTS)
Should you wish to stay close to Alexandra Palace, please see the list of suggested hotels provided by Alexandra Palace and few other cheaper options. This is not included in the arrangements.
White Lodge (Hornsey) 1 Church Lane, London, N8 7BU 020 8348 9765 Twin B&B
Comfort Hotel (Finchley) Leisure Way, High Road London, N12 0QZ 0208 446 6644 Twin B&B
This list is a guideline, not a recommendation. They have not been checked by Classic Tours. There are other hotels & B&Bs in the area. See the list on the following page. There are other hotels & B&Bs in the area. Prices are subject to change.